Gas Transmission Pipeline Insulation
According to The American Petroleum Institute (API), gas transmission pipelines are used to transport gas from production to point of use. There are three types of gas transmission pipelines:
- Gathering- gathers raw natural gas from wells and transports to transmission pipelines
- Transmission- supports the transportation of natural gas from processing facilities to many parts of the continental US thousands of miles away
- Distribution- delivers natural gas to homes and businesses through large mains and service lines
According to Dr. Mahmood Moshfeghian of John M. Campbell, As the natural gases move along the pipe its pressure and temperature change due to the Joule-Thompson effect, frictional loss, elevation change, acceleration, and heat transfer to or from surroundings. Due to pressure and temperature change, liquid and solid (hydrate) may also form in the line which in turn affects the pressure profile. This could prevent the pipeline form operating at its intended or maximum pressure, which could be dangerous and costly.
Dr. Mahmood goes on to provide clear evidence that insulating gas transmission pipeline prevents heat from transferring from the gas pipeline into space or vice versa. This prevents liquid formation within the pipeline, and thus its pressure profile is maintained.
Thermaxx Jackets has years of experience insulating pipelines and their components such as:
- Pressure Release Valves- allows pressure to escape the pipeline when needed
- Check Valve- prevents reverse flow of gases in pipeline
- Control Valve- responds to a predetermined loss or increase in pressure in pipeline
- Heat Exchangers- used in natural gas processing
- Steam Pipelines- insulated in a way similarly to gas pipelines
- And more...
Where smaller service lines connect to the larger mains or common supplies is commonly insulated with removable insulation jackets to enable easy service and maintenance. For more information on removable insulation blankets, contact us.
- removable insulation
- thermaxx jackets
- energy savings
- energy efficiency
- pipe insulation
- insulation materials
- thermal insulation
- heat loss survey
- case study
- heat loss
- energy loss
- hot insulation
- New York
- custom insulation
- reusable insulation
- steam trap monitoring